Ireland wants to hear from people of Irish descent

Michael Kehoe

Follow Michael at @michaelcalling

1. Lindsey Howald Campbell says:

I do have Irish ancestors. My Great-Grandmother Lula Mae was a Hart, which I believe was orginally O’Hart or the Gaelic Ó hAirt. My mother’s side of the family is the Thompson family, which I believe were Scots-Irish. Many of the Thompsons are listed in the Irish Famine Immigration in U.S. immigration archives and my research shows many of them leaving Scotland and moving to Ireland a long time ago. My maiden name Howald is Swiss-German and my husband’s name Campbell is Scottish, but we are not sure if there are any Campbell’s in Ireland. If there are Howald’s in Ireland that would some great information too.

2. Andrea Geer says:

I have several lines of Irish ancestors on both my mothers and fathers side, just to name a few of them…..O’Reilly, McCandless, Mulvihill, Ferguson….. My husband also has Irish ancestors in the O’Leary line. We plan on visiting Ireland for our 20th anniversary.

3. Daniel Williams says:

Advice. Yes. If your grandparents were Irish-born, you are entitled to Irish citizenship. Contact your nearest Irish embassy or consulate and they will be able to tell you what documents you need. I have done it and travel back and forth and stay as long as I like. I was born in America and found it easy to become anIrish citizen and acquire an Irish passport. Very handy if you are on a hijacked plane and the hijackers want to kill all the Americans on board, but will leave the Europeans alone.
    As an alternative, contact the Irish embassy in line in New York, they can send you the forms you will need and lots of other information. They are very welcoming and eager to help.

4. Vicki Novak says:

I am of irish descent-about 80% to be precise. I have been to Ireland twice and never expected to find that the stories were indeed true; that the irish have a mystical connection to the land. I knew I was home. I have traveled throughout the states and can honestly say I have never had that feeling before or since.

Eire and her people are simply amazing. Not a day goes by that I do not think of “home” and when I can return. Both times I left I cried getting on the plane because I did not want to leave.

5. carla steele says:

My mom is a fitzgerald, can’t get much more irish than that !!!! we have a family tree and coat of arms ; I would love to hear from some of my irish family in the mother land !!! <3

6. Paula Derry says:

My Father was from Irish, Scottish descent. I think the Derry name was derived from Derrick.

7. Kate walker (nee) O'loughlin says:

Am doing family history on “O’loughlin”, from Co Roscommon (late father’s side of family and McHughs from Dunfanaghy Co Donegal.(late mum’s side of family.. Love and am so proud of my Irish heritage.
    I even had copper coloured hair and freckles as a child

8. mary hart carroll says:

My grandparents emigrated to the US around 1900 or so…my grandmother maiden name McCarthy..her mother or grandmother..Lynch…from Mayo..grandfather from Claire

9. Thomas Michael Lennon says:

Fathers Grandfather Daniel Lennon and Grandmother Abby Conboy came from Cloonakilleg, Tisrara, Roscommon to Lynn, MA in 1855 (+/-). Mothers Father Michael Doran and Mother Annie Houghton came from Culdaff, Donegal to Charlestown, MA in 1905 .

10. Linda Freeman says:

My maiden name is Kirkley. I was always told that we were from Irish descent, I recently discovered a town in England by the name of Kirkley. So I’m confused on that. Now wonder if my ancestors were from Ireland or England. Do you have any info on the name Kirkley?

11. Kathleen Brosnahan says:

I am 100% Irish. All my great grand-parents were forced to leave Ireland to survive. I come to Ireland every year, but must leave after 3 months for the lack of permission and opportunities to stay and make a simple life. I advocate for Irish citizens who wish to live and work in the US. No one advocates for me. I can’t even insure a car with a flawless driving record and 25 years of Irish driving experience. Any advice?

12. David Callahan says:

i am planning a trip to Ireland this summer and I would love to find out how to find relatives

13. Cecelia Kelsey says:

I am of Irish decent on my Mother’s side. Her Great Grandparents came to Nova Scotia from Ireland and somehow ended up in Olean, NY. Their name was MacMillian. My Dad relatives came from Scotland!

14. suzanne emond says:

My grand mother was and irish * Smith * Wish I could visit you some day …