An Irish pub has come up with list of ten rules that its customers must abide by in order to keep the perfect atmosphere.
The rules are in place at the Merry Ploughboy in Dublin. While some may be slightly tongue-in-cheek, there is little doubt that if everybody adheres to them, then a good night will be had by all.
They deal with general etiquette that is expected in the bar and covers subjects such as drinking habits, what should and should not be discussed and the differing ways men and women should use the facilities.
The rules were posted on social media and have gone viral, having been seen over a million times in the last few days.
Here is the list of rules in full.
1. Buying someone a drink is five times better than a handshake.
2. If someone offers to buy you a drink, do not upgrade.
3. Persons drinking a pint of Guinness before it has fully settled will be immediately barred.
4. Anyone on stage or behind the bar is 50% better looking.
5. Telling lies is unacceptable, you may however grossly exaggerate.
6. If there is ever any confusion, the fuller beer is yours.
7. If you hesitate more than three seconds after getting the barman’s attention, you do not deserve a drink.
8. If you buy a woman a drink and she refuses, she does not like you.
9. If you buy a woman a drink and she accepts, she still may not like you.
10. Girls hang out, apply make-up and have long talks in the bathroom. Men do not.
The Merry Ploughboy is one of the most popular pubs in Dublin and a favourite for anyone looking to enjoy a bit of traditional Irish music.
The pub is owned and run by musicians and attracts plenty of tourists who can settle in for the long haul with food, drink and a live show that includes music and Irish dancing.
It has won the award for ‘Best Traditional Dinner/Entertainment event in Ireland’ for the last three years.
Check out their website for more information.
Get a small sample of Irish pub life in this video of Irish musicians and dancers and performing in two pubs in Temple Bar, Dublin.
More popular articles and videos
Ireland Calling Videos
Check out the Ireland Calling YouTube Channel for more great videos like these.