FREE WEEKEND at findmypast
Findmypast has announced that this weekend, they will be opening up their archives and giving unlimited free access to billions of records and newspaper pages from all over the world. From 12pm on Thursday 27th April to 11:59pm, 1st May, absolutely everyone will have access to Findmypast’s comprehensive collections of historical records and innovative research tools.
The fantastic range of resources include:
* Millions of records you won’t find anywhere else, including fascinating WW2 Prisoner of War records, millions of England & Wales Crime records and the incredible British in India collection
* The largest online collection of England & Wales Electoral registers, containing over 220 million names
* Birth, marriage and death records dating back to the 18th century
* The largest online collection of UK parish records, dating back to 1538
* Historical newspapers from across the world, including nearly 13 million British newspapers dating all the way back to 1710
* The most comprehensive collection of UK military records anywhere online
* The largest collection of Irish family history records available online
* Passenger lists for ships sailing to and from Europe, Australia, New Zealand, and the USA
* An easy to use online family tree builder, which allows you to import and export your tree if you’ve built it elsewhere
* Our Family Tree hints feature, which will suggest potential matches between the ancestors in your tree and records from our archives.
Family historians will also have free access to the millions of other records available to search on Findmypast.
Click on the links below to access the records.
Did you know?Despite funerals being the saddest of occasions, they often produce wonderfully warm and life-affirming poems and blessings. The Irish have a great tradition for funeral poems and blessings. Find out more.
Have you heard about…Some of the most popular surnames in Ireland have histories that go back hundreds, even thousands of years. Several originated from the ancient Irish clans that ruled various parts of the country over the centuries. Find out the stories of some of the most common names in Ireland.
What about this…Brian Boru is known as the last High King of Ireland and is even credited with seeing off the Vikings who had terrorised the Irish for over 200 years. Find out more.