Luas drivers postpone strike for new pay talks
Luas workers have called off next weekend’s strike to give negotiations a chance.
The Siptu trade union said the 48-hour tram stoppage was being cancelled unconditionally despite repeated warnings last week that the service was being threatened by an “all-out indefinite” walkout.
Drivers held a meeting on Monday where they agreed to lift the strike on Saturday and Sunday.
Siptu divisional organiser Owen Reidy said the move was designed to create a window for talks with management aimed at finding a resolution to the dispute.
“As well as this move by the drivers, the three other grades of Luas workers – traffic supervisors, revenue protection officers and revenue protection supervisors – will meet with the company tomorrow in order to clarify some issues surrounding its revised offer,” he said.
Siptu has asked to meet caretaker Transport Minister Paschal Donohoe to outline workers’ concerns in case a deal cannot be struck.
Since a new pay offer, brokered by industrial relations mediators, was rejected by drivers, operating company Transdev put them on protective notice and warned them they would be removed from the payroll next Monday.
Workers had hit the company with a work-to-rule and a list of strikes – five 24-hour stoppages are still in the diary for April 28 and May 4, 13, 20 and 27.
A separate four-hour stoppage is also planned for May 26.
Siptu said it would hold meetings for all its Luas members on Wednesday and Thursday to update them on talks.