Ireland Calling
Ireland Calling Store

Irishman stabbed to death in Sydney may have been targeted by date’s ex-lover

An Irishman killed in a frenzied stabbing at a Sydney restaurant may have been the victim of his date’s ex-lover.

Named locally as Keith Collins, the 53-year-old was stabbed repeatedly while eating dinner at the Kang Nam BBQ restaurant in the Hornsby Westfield Shopping Centre at about 9.30pm on Wednesday.

It is believed he was from Dublin but had been living in Terrigal, New South Wales, for some time.

Scores of diners fled in horror as both Mr Collins and the woman with whom he was dining were attacked.

A 44-year-old man has been charged with murder and attempted murder over the killing and the injuries suffered by the 38-year-old woman.

She suffered stab wounds to the chest and arm and was taken to Royal North Shore Hospital with a punctured sternum.

Despite her serious injuries, the woman managed to escape the restaurant and collapsed at a nearby shop.

Detective Acting Superintendent Damian Henry told reporters the relationship between the three people will form part of the police inquiry.

“We’re yet to establish if there’s a domestic relationship between the three parties,” he said.

“We believe that there might be a domestic relationship between the female and the (charged man).”

One witness to the attack said.”The guy jumped over the counter and stabbed him with a glass bottle. He got two in the neck and two in the stomach and he, like, dropped.”

It has yet to be confirmed if a knife or bottle was used in the attack and a number of items were taken from the scene for forensic examination.

Mobile phone footage from diners and other shoppers in the centre will also be scoured as part of the investigation.

Footage of the suspect being arrested shows a Taser-wielding officer demanding the man drop a backpack and kneel on the ground before being handcuffed.

Sign up to our FREE newsletters

Please click on your confirmation email,
Check your junk mail folder in case it gets sent there.

The alleged attacker was refused bail and was expected to face Hornsby Local Court on Thursday.

Ireland’s Department of Foreign Affairs said it was aware of the incident but that it had not received any request for consular assistance.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

XSLT Plugin by Leo Jiang