Ireland Calling
Ireland Calling Store

Participants in Easter Rising 1916

It’s been the subject of debate for nearly a 100 years but now we have a definitive list of names showing who really took part in the Easter Rising 1916.

We also have the official figure for how many rebels were in the GPO in that momentous period of Irish history._full-list-who-took-part-in-1916-Easter-Rising available Image Ireland Calling

The figures have been published by the Military Pensions Archive. They show that there were 508 rebels in the GPO and a total of 2,558 involved in the whole campaign.

The lists have been compiled on the basis of the number of people, or their family members, who applied for a military pension or allowance, or just an Easter Rising medal.

Archivists say the only person they know to be missing from the list is Cathal Brugha, who was second in command to Éamonn Ceannt at the South Dublin Union. Brugha later took the anti-treaty side and was killed during the Civil War.

The list will help identify relatives of those rebels

The list is being used to identify relatives of those rebels who want to take part in the various parades and meetings planned for the Easter Rising commemorations next year.

People who believe they have a relative who was involved but who is not on the list can appeal to the Department of Defence but must do so before September this year.

Please click on your confirmation email,
Check your junk mail folder in case it gets sent there.

The Minister for Defence, Simon Coveney, told the Irish Times that the release of the full list of names was a “very significant milestone in our understanding and historical appreciation of the identity of the men and women, from many different backgrounds, who lit the spark at Easter 1916 which a short time later led to the formation of a resurgent revolutionary movement that ultimately led to the War of Independence”.

You can check the full list of names in the Military Pensions Archive here.

Easter RisingMore on Irish history

37 thoughts on “Participants in Easter Rising 1916

1. kathleen o callaghan-evans

I amsearching for my Grandad. Joseph {Patrick Callaghan He died 6-5-1920 He was
    imprisoned twice, according to papers in Military Archives office.I beleive he was in the Longford Brigade
    He was imprisoned i Arbour Hill Prison. They are not able to help. No papers there.I have tried the Longford
    library also. am sure he would be entirled to a Medal Please can you help?

13/10/2016 at 11:48 am
  2. Sandi

Where is this list? I can’t find it anywhere!

28/08/2016 at 1:12 pm
  3. Sandi Beam

My grandma’s last name was Cairns can’t seem to find any info on her.

28/08/2016 at 1:07 pm
  4. Kevin Galvin

From ballygar Galway

11/07/2016 at 12:24 am
  5. angela bidewell

Hi how do i find out if any Caffreys or Moore from Rosscommon are on the list

25/06/2016 at 9:15 pm
  6. Anne Boyle

Is my grand uncles name on the list I believe he left Emerald Sq on Easter Monday his name was Danial Horan from Dolphins Barn Anne Boyle

15/06/2016 at 7:37 pm
  7. Stephanie Dargon Luce

My grandmother stated that her brother, my great-uncle, John Driscoll, aka Johnny Ellen, was shot in the neck during the troubles. John Driscoll (born 1884 – ?) was the son of Ellen Mahoney and Patrick Driscoll and was born in Clonakilty. I do not find Uncle John on the participant list. Please advise.

09/06/2016 at 6:41 pm
  8. theresa coyne

I would love to no if any of my relations where related in this. Family name coyne. Thankyou.

05/06/2016 at 11:49 pm
  9. Joseph Jennings

I would like to k ow if anyo e had information on my Grandfather Michael Jennings from Rosscommon.

05/06/2016 at 9:14 pm
  10. victoria cuddy

Please let me know where to go for the list. My grandfathers name was Thomas Young Cuddly..are there any Buddy’s on the list?

18/04/2016 at 9:49 pm
  11. Paul Dooley

What is the link for the list of people involved in the Easter Uprising?

05/04/2016 at 10:52 pm
  12. Rory Connaughton

Patrick Connaughton is my grandfather. My father and many of Patrick’s grandchildren and great grandchildren were present in Dublin for Easter weekend. I have seen my grandfather’s files from the Defence Force’s military archives. I know he was in 1st Battalion, B company and later C company. How would I be able to verify his direct connection to Michael Collins?

31/03/2016 at 3:56 pm
  13. John Docherty

I am trying to find information on my Granda, Joseph (Joe) Cairns from Glasgow, who I’ve been told left Glasgow to take part in the Rising. Is there anywhere or anyway I can verify this.
    Thanks in advance,
    John Docherty, Glasgow, Scotland.

30/03/2016 at 10:53 am
  14. Malachy O'Doherty

Would like to know who in my family thought I the war and what they did if possible pls

30/03/2016 at 1:42 am
  15. Mairead Ni Chonghaile

Your story was very interesting Noel. Kitty’s family, the Kiernans certainly did own The Greville Arms, which is still in operation today (in fact I was there yesterday!). The fact that your parents worked for her parents is very interesting: the family owned a number of businesses in the town in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, but sadly both parents passed away in 1908 and some of her sisters died when they were very young. But the children rallied to keep the business going and made them a success.

Kitty was indeed Collin’s fiancée, he was killed a few months before their wedding. They hadn’t actually met in 1916, but rather in 1917. However there is a Kiernan connection with the Rising as Kitty’s brother had driven two volunteers to Dublin to join the Rising, but couldn’t get through. A local blacksmith, Éamonn Creamer, has beautifully restored the Ford Model T and RTÉ has featured it in one of their stories on the Rising.
    There is a Longford connection and Collins though, as Patrick Connaughton from Longford served directly under Collins in the GPO. We are working on biographies of the known Longford participants in the Rising which will be on the above website once completed.

The Burning of Granard relates to a later period during the War of Independence, and was in retaliation for after the death of D.I. Kelleher in 1920.
    I hope this information is beneficial to you.

(As Frank said, Oliver Plunkett is a saint, possibly you’re thinking of Joseph Mary Plunkett?)

28/03/2016 at 10:39 pm
  16. Louise Daring

Iam trying to find out what happened to my great uncle . Thomas McInerney I found him listed but the family has no idea what happened to him NewYork may be .New South Wales Australia?

28/03/2016 at 6:04 am
  17. Brendan O'Brien

Did returning soldiers on leave from Irish regiments join in the fighting on the side of the rebels

28/03/2016 at 1:37 am
  18. Susan Butterfield

Dear Sir/Madam
    I am trying to find some information about my grandfather Patrick Mc Loughlin, he passed away when I was 8 yrs old in the early seventies. When growing up we would hear snippets of conversations and stories that grandad had been a messenger boy for De Valera at Bolands Mills, and that he had been shot in the leg while carrying a message. I would dearly love to find out some information and to know more. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Kind regards
    Susan Butterfield.

19/03/2016 at 12:19 am
  19. Susan Butterfield

Kind regards
    Susan Butterfield.

19/03/2016 at 12:18 am
  20. Kathleen Patrick

Do you see the name “Noone” in the list of people involved in the 1916 uprising?

16/03/2016 at 10:48 pm
  21. Barry McAreavey

I am looking for information on my Grandad John Roan. He ended up in Glasgow as an illegal immigrant. I think he was involved in the wars of independence, but might have fell out with some of the leadership at that time. Ended up on the run from both sides I am led to believe. Any information is appreciated.

29/02/2016 at 10:38 am
  22. Ronan Dunne

His name was Arthur Agnew, my Grandfather and him and few mates decided to be anti-social on O’Connell Bridge on Easter Sunday before they bolted to Kilmainham

07/12/2015 at 11:04 pm
  23. ian doyle

My grandfather’s name is on a place in kilmanimham jail his sir name was o’suillivan we don’t know what he was in jail for and what part he played in the rise ing?

05/11/2015 at 12:05 am
  24. fran r

Elizabeth O’Farrell isn’t on the list.

01/11/2015 at 4:23 pm
  25. Stephen Doherty

Seosamh O’Dochartaigh of Tir Connell signed the treaty.

26/10/2015 at 6:31 pm
  26. Billy Collins

I am just beginning to learn of my (COLLINS) ancestors from Ireland.I would like to trace my roots back as far as possible.

21/09/2015 at 7:57 pm
  27. Rory O'Grady

My grandmother went into labor on Easter Sunday 1916 and
    while trying to get to the hospital English so called officers searched her in a shop front, bastards put their hands on her. My aunt just passed this year we so wanted her to make 100 but it was not to be.

13/09/2015 at 10:08 pm
  28. Frances Maine

My Grandfather was James Nelson of 9 Middle Gardiner Street Dublin. He fought in the 1916 Uprising and was interned in Wales. MSP34 REF 1160. I would like to know more about him.

12/09/2015 at 2:35 am
  29. Anne Boyle

Want to learn about my great uncle Danial Horan from the liberties in Dublin he was interned in Ballykinler up north hope you can find out somthing thanks Anne Boyle

28/08/2015 at 11:19 pm
  30. My grand-father was Bartholomew Downes born Tintern/saltmills around 1890 toPatrick Downes and Marianne Downes (nee Rowe), his brother was Pat Downes. Is it the same person. ?

30/06/2015 at 7:48 pm
  31. frank moore

Michael Collins never married and oliver plunkett was a saint …lockout in dublin happened 1913

30/06/2015 at 5:43 pm
  32. Teresa o connor

Many men and women who applied for the pension after the rising did not get a pension for one reason or another and like wise with men and women whos names were omitted from the sinn fein and ira records wheather records went missing or not who knows rose feehan from clara offaly snd annie berry and her sister bridget brennans were dedicated members of the movement transporting guns snd ammunition under their long skirts and much more dont leave them out or others like them .

29/06/2015 at 9:56 pm
  33. noelflynn

kitty kiernan lived in my small little town of granard co.longford the bullet holes are still visible to this present day the hotel is situated in the old market street in granard her parents owned the hotel. she later married the great michael collins my mum worked as a cleaner for kittys parents.both my parents told me as i was growing up as a young man the history of granard. there was i believe a book titled the burning of granard. but unfortunately i never managed to read or get a copy of said book. i left my home town of granard when i was seventeen years old & i regret i have never been back to visit my lovely home town of granard.the hotel is still situated to this present day it is known by the name of The Greville Arms Hotel. this is part of the history of the 1916 easter uprising. but my parents informed me before they both passed away rest their souls that the easter rising actually happened two years earlier in 1914. my parents had over their fireplace a photo of all the volunteers oliver plunkett & maany more this was a old black & white photo i omly wish i had asked for that photo of all the volunteers that were in it. or if their is a copy to be had i would love to hear from anyone that has a copy of it.

29/06/2015 at 9:49 am
  34. This is not the full list and The 1916 Relatives Association will be discussing this with Irish Military Archives: My own relative who is well documented and took a significant role in the surrender is not included Nurse Elizabeth O’ Farrell. Another Relative of a committee member is also not included. Could relatives please contact archives and ourselves at: Thank you Donna Cooney PRO/ media Spokesperson The 1916 Relatives Association

29/06/2015 at 7:56 am
  35. Hugh Jordan

Excellent work.

28/06/2015 at 7:40 pm
  36. David Flood

It’s not the full list – there are a number of people who for whatever reason never came before the pensions committee for consideration (death, emigration, refusal on principle).

27/06/2015 at 11:57 am