Ireland Calling
Ireland Calling Store

Colin Farrell speaks out against Catholic Church

Colin Farrell has criticised the Catholic Church for its reaction to the result of Ireland’s same-sex marriage referendum.

The Irish Hollywood star, whose brother is gay, was a vocal supporter of same-sex marriage in the lead up to the referendum. He has also been supportive of equal rights for gay people in general throughout the years.

Last month Ireland voted overwhelmingly in favour of same-sex marriage. Some sections of the Catholic Church said that it was an opportunity to reassess its position on gay marriage in the 21st century.

Colin Farrell Speaks out against the Catholic Church for its reaction to Ireland’s same-sex marriage referendum result

However, they were somewhat drowned out by headlines stating that the Catholic Church was in ‘bereavement’ or that the referendum result was an ‘unmitigated disaster’ for the Church.

A senior Vatican official was even quoted as saying that the result was a ‘defeat for humanity’.

Farrell didn’t share that view and has spoken out against the negative reaction.

In an interview with E! news the True Detective actor said: “It was really funny because one of the arguments when the vote went through was that the church came out and said, ‘You know, this was a dark day for Ireland.’

“All you could see was literally rainbows everywhere, posters of rainbows, T-shirts of rainbows, men and women hugging, men and men hugging, women and women hugging, and yet cut to, ‘This is a dark day in the history of Ireland’

“A dark day in the history of a country is internal civil conflict and war and bloodshed…It was a great day.”

He also said that he expected his brother Eamon to get married in Ireland in the near future.

He said: “I’m sure he will be married [in Ireland] within the next year. He got married in Vancouver seven or eight years ago to his husband, but I think it’s time he’ll enjoy a home grown celebration.”

Take a look at the video below.

Is Colin Farrell right? Please tell us what you think in the comments section below the video.

Please click on your confirmation email,
Check your junk mail folder in case it gets sent there.

Written by Michael Kehoe

Follow Michael at @michaelcalling

»crosslinked«

8 thoughts on “Colin Farrell speaks out against Catholic Church

1. Emerald bay

Well said ANGEL! BTW let’s be clear about that vote. 100% voting NEVER took place . A majority won only because 40% never voted probably because they would have voted NO so if they had only realized that every voted counted then a different outcome
    Would of occurred……the Irish gays need to get over themselves and if u want to be treated like everyone else then acted it instead of pushing ” your agenda” everywhere , heterosexuals don’t

14/06/2015 at 7:07 pm
  2. Kerry Bryan

Marriage equality is not the issue in the debate regarding same sex marriage.
    I’m tired of the arguments from people who oppose same sex marriage , being silenced. All you hear in the media is pro opinions. All you hear about people who oppose it , is that they are religious lieunatics and old fashioned.
    Well I oppose same sex marriage and I am neither.

Do I have to be a movie star to get my opinion heard?
    I am not homophobic or a bigot.
    The real issues of the consequences of legalising same sex marriage are also not debated in the media.
    These include the human right of a child to have a mother and a father, that is a male and a female. Do I have to spell it out.
    The world is going crazy.
    Religious freedom will be denied to people who oppose same sex marriage
    It is already happening! Wake up world!
    Where are my rights.

14/06/2015 at 3:07 pm
  3. Angel

Absoultely!!! Because I do my best to follow the teachings of God (I notice your disrespect for God in your refusal to spell out His name). We are taught, in the Christian world anyway, that God hates the sin but loves the sinner. I do the same; there is no hate on my part for the sinner in any way, shape or form, but there is utter disgust for the depravity that is touted as the new “norm” by a few who dismiss the teachings in favor of what feels good at the moment.

Furthermore, what goes on in your bedroom is your business, not mine and what goes on in my heterosexual bedroom is my business not yours. ‘Ever notice how heterosexuals don’t need to go around shouting from the rooftops that they’re straight? Whatever sexual inclination a person has shouldn’t need to be “governed”; that’s between you and your maker, not lawmakers.

11/06/2015 at 4:04 pm
  4. Tonee

I think it’s fantastic that the majority of Irish citizens stood up in favor of equality! And screw the Catholic Church! Who the hell are they to tell anyone who they can have sex with?! Especially when it’s full of priests who love raping little boys! At least w/ most LGBT ppl it’s between 2 consenting adults!

11/06/2015 at 11:31 am
  5. Marilyn

Thanks angel clearly you are also some one we want to listen to. Listening to our own hearts is good enough. If you insist on being a hater so be it. I am not worried how my G-d will see me on my judgment day. Can you say the same?

10/06/2015 at 11:16 pm
  6. Jack Davenport

Another Hollywood clown gone political. If he’s criticizing the Church, only fair that I call out his awful movies. And keep your clothes on, “Colin.” After all, you are a poor man’s Clooney.

10/06/2015 at 10:31 pm
  7. June Dunphy

Sad to hear Ireland voted in favour of same sex marriage. Colin Farrell is happy for his brother but that does not make it ok! Rainbows everywhere doesn’t mean it is not a dark day for Ireland. We all know that anything goes nowadays so wonder when I can marry my cat? (not that I want to!)

10/06/2015 at 4:32 pm
  8. Angel

How sad it is that Ireland, and the entire world, has blindly taken guidance from the Pope, and religious scholars who have made it their lives to study the teachings of God, for thousands of years. Thankfully, we now have Hollywood “elites” and various other “artists” to shame us into reality and teach us that what used to go on in our bedrooms is really supposed to governed by lawmakers and shouted to the world. Apparently, Sodom and Gomorrah was just a little piece of fiction thrown into the Bible for our amusement and God’s view of homosexuality being “an abomination” is a myth. How did humanity ever come so far before we had “progressives” around to set us straight (pun not intended)? Go away Pope, you’re no longer relevant.

For those of you who didn’t catch it, that was sarcasm.

10/06/2015 at 3:44 pm